How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58680
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I am very concerned about my son, he is 30 and still lives

This answer was rated:

I am very concerned about my son, he is 30 and still lives with us and has been drinking heavily for some months. He lost his job two weeks ago and keeps telling us he is having doctors/counsellors appointments. He rarely leaves the house now except to go to the supermarket and I find this difficult to believe. I rang our surgery to ask if I could have a telephone appointment with our GP but was told they would not be able to discuss him. I know he sometimes tries to cut down but this makes him feel ill and he is unable to do it.
We have tried to talk to him many times but he just puts us off with promises that he is getting help.
Is there anything we can do?

Thanks Christine

I'm going to be very honest...It sounds like you are enabling him. Is that true?

Dr. Phil, MD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you mean by this as I have attended an al-anon meeting but unfortunately being an adult on a good salary he has been able to buy as much drink as he likes, obviously when he runs out of cash he will not be able to do this.

also he is staying with you. you are providing a home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
True, he left home for a while and lived in a house share with friends but came back about three years ago when they all decided to move out. Since he has been home I have noticed he has spent a lot of time alone in his room, he also has a break up with his girlfriend which seemed to trigger the drinking.

I think you need to give him an ultimatum

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I. Finding reasonably priced accommodation in London is very hard but most of his friends seemed to have managed it. He seems to think supporting himself is an impossibility
What can we say to him to get him to the doctor, other than driving him there ourselves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he needs medical intervention to enable him to stop


he needs multimodal therapy

doctor, psychiatrist, counselor, substance abuse classes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try and get him to face up to this.

welcome :)