How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19308
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

My dad has suffered from tremors some time now and it has

This answer was rated:

Hi, My dad has suffered from tremors for quite some time now and it has recently worsened to a degree where it is now affecting his sleep and he is suffering from depression, and has been given anti-depressants. The symptoms are really affecting his life, and he now would like to get a proper diagnosis and treatment plan suggested as soon as possible. He has been to his GP and they had referred him to a specialist but the waiting list was pretty long and therefore his GP had agreed to him going to the same consultant, but on a private basis. He now has an appointment next week. So, my question is (as he is concerned about this) will he be able to return to the NHS for any treatment suggested, after his initial consultation with the consultant on the fee paying basis? Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is possible to do this. The NHS has said that private care needs to be separate from the NHS care, even if provided by the same doctor/consultant. But it is certainly possible that you can get your initial assessment by the consultant and subsequent care for the condition.

A position on a waiting list also should not be affected by someone being seen privately.

Once the diagnosis is made and it is a condition that can be managed by medicines, asis usually the case for conditions that cause tremors, the private consultant can make a recommendation to his GP, who can then prescribe the medicine to be covered by NHS. If it is a condition that may need a procedure for treatment, then he can be arranged for an appointment that will be covered by the NHS, but there may be a waiting list for that appointment.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. Many thanks for this, I will pass the information on. I am sure that will put his mind at rest. Best wishes. Karen

You are most welcome.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.