How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Ravoof Your Own Question
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6083
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Ravoof is online now

My pain comes from behind the ribs on right hand side. It

This answer was rated:

My pain comes from behind the ribs on right hand side. It started as a strong stitch-like pain but three weeks later is a dull bruised feeling. If I press just under the ribs it hurts more than if I leave it alone.
Should I bother the doctor?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically any chest pain requires an examination by your doctor. In your case in the absence of other symptoms, this is most likely due to costochondritis. The condition can cause a localized chest pain that can be reproduced by pushing on the cartilage in the front of the ribcage. However before diagnosing this condition other serious conditions need to be ruled out by your doctor. Costochondritis resolves by itself, however in some patients it might last for several weeks or longer. Treatment focuses on relief of pain and you may ask your doctor whether you can take ibuprofen for the pain.

Take care.

Dear customer,

If you have no further questions, please rate the answer with a positive rating.


Dr. Ravoof and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you