How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I am 81 and have very thin, ridged finger nails and when

This answer was rated:

I am 81 and have very thin , ridged finger nails and when they split it is downwards - is there anything I can do to improve this problem? Or is it just old age?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any products online which may help my finger nail problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.


How are you?

Thanks for coming.

Please attach a picture here

There are no specific products in general, but, I need to see what you are talking about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid £36.00 on my VISA card for the answer - is the £21.00 ALSO payable?


I don't handle any of those issues.

I simply answer questions.

I did send you an offer to to integrative medicine as well, you either accept that or do not.

Can, you attach a picture here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I do not understand as I am 81 and cannot take a picture of my nails.

are these vertical ridges?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In general, vertical ridges are from ageing and are normal.

Thin fingernails as well, although there can be nutrient issues.

If splitting at all, iron deficiency is a common problem.

This is also a problem of ageing along with vitamin D and B vitamins.

These should all be measured along with examination of the nails.

In this instance, supplementation might help.

Of course, vitamins are over the counter, but it is better to have the lab measurements done.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help - do you suggest I ask my own Doctor or just visit the Chemist?

I suggest you use your doctor so he/she can follow you and do any other needed testing.

Please don't forget a rating on the rating scale [I hope a 5] as this is how we get paid by just answer.

Find me anytime.

DrRussMD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
certainly a 5 in my book. Thanks again. Have a nice day.


I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers