How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 58383
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

I have had IBS related issues for years with no other formal

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have had IBS related issues for years with no other formal diagnosis however recently I have new symptoms that may or may not be related which are causing discomfort and concern. I am around 2 stone over weight currently but my stomach has expanded considerably (not the fat!) and is painful where my belt is (even when loose). I also have an issue beneath my ribcage where it feels like a have a bulge, but nothing visual. When I press in this area I a popping (like squeezing a balloon).
I have not been back to the GP as I have had loads of tests over the years but not for the latest symptoms.
I wondered if this was a hernia but thought I would ask for some advice first before I book another appointment.

Thanks for this question

This is not a hernia

You would see a bulge with that

It sounds related to IBS

have you tried the FODMAP diet?

Dr. Phil, MD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you