How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4835
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now

I am from greece and i have been leaving in uk for the last

Customer Question

My name is Christina.
i am from greece and i have been leaving in uk for the last 5 years. i now have a permanent post it in the nhs as a consultant radiologist. My brother, 39 years old, was recently diagnosed with testicular ca. I wanted to ask if he could be covered by nhs for the cost of his chemotherapies as he is a first degree relative.
kind regards
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am not sure what you mean. Do you need my mobile number? 00447787807503
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry 00447787806503
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

No The NHS is a residency based care system. It can cover dependents but not relatives. Your brother can get an EHIC card and be eligible for care in the UK if he comes to visit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brother has that card' Does that mean he can have his treatment in Scotland where i live?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link that explains some of it

He can have treatment for a chronic or preexisting illness but cannot come to scotland just to start the treatment. He can have treatment as a visitor on a trip also.