How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11887
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Type Your Medical Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now

I would like to refer my ex to see a psychiatrist/counsellor

This answer was rated:

I would like to refer my ex to see a psychiatrist/counsellor but do not know who would be the right type of person to help him. I believe he is going through a mini break-down. Before he met me he was married with a young child. He has never been able to develop an independent relationship with the child and although misses him badly, hardly ever sees him. He spends no more than an hour with the child and it is irregular. Most of the time he sees the child with the child's mother (eg meeting at a park). When the child was a baby he tells me that he found it hard to cope, didn't know what to do with the baby or how to comfort it. I know this is fairly typical but he does not seem to see anyway forward to developing a relationship now, although he desires this. He comments that usually he thrives at a challenge - he does - but he just cannot see a way forward. He has no problem taking financial responsibility. He initially rejected the idea as he sees himself as a "strong" person but now seems receptive. I would like to help him work this out for the sake of him and his child who will ultimately suffer if he cannot work out a way through this. Many thanks, Lisa

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like he would be best served with talk therapy.

This is usually done by a PhD level psychologist, a MS level health care worker or even a Clinical Social Worker.

I do not think he needs a psychiatrist (MD) from what you have posted.

You could ask his primary care MD for names of mental health care givers in your area.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

wieyedoc and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks. I will research those options.