Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.

Is it likely to get pregnant after your period? When you've

Hi is it likely to get pregnant after your period? When you've had unprotected sex? I started the pill on the day I had unprotected sex and I have had it for about 2 weeks but now have ran out of pills. My period was around the 26th of July

Were you having regular periods?

When you say after your period, how many days was this from the start of your period? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having regular periods and I can't remember exactly but it was a day after I finished my period. There was slight blood drops after but that's all.

It would be highly unlikely for you to get pregnant the day after your period, as long as you're having regular period. You probably were a week away from ovulation.

Since you've run out of the pill, I would expect you to get a period pretty soon (might be a light one). As long as you get some bleeding a few days after stopping the pill, you know that you're not pregnant. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say I will get bleeding a few days after the pill, do you mean my period?Also as I kept on taking the pills and one time after the 5 days it's meant to work I had unprotected sex again, am I safe from that? I took them after alsoIs it worth me doing a pregnancy test? If so how long do I wait to carry out the test?

We would call it a withdrawal bleed, but it's like a period.

You should be protected by the pill as long as you started it within 5 days of your period starting. Otherwise, you need 7 days to be protected.

I would wait to see if you get some bleeding from going off the pill. If not, then do a pregnancy test. A test will generally be positive 2 weeks after sex if you did get pregnant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started the day I came off my period, so would I of still been protected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started the pills***

The important part is how many days after your period starts, not days after your period. If it's a long period, you wouldn't be protected. If it's a short period, you would.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right I understand, so as today I have stopped taking the pills there is no way I can get pregnant still?

Since you've stopped the pills, you're no longer protected, so you could get pregnant in the future.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. As in right now there is no way? Because I read a sperm can live for 7 days?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But as I was on the pill wouldn't it prevent from surviving? Not sure if that's the best word to use/describe sorry

I'm not understanding. From when are you concerned about sperm survival?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for confusing you, it just my partner came instead me so I'm just wondering as I've stopped taking the pill and it's been a week since we last had intercourse, am I still protected?

A few sperm can live 6-7 days, but there are generally not enough sperm after 2 days to cause a pregnancy. I wouldn't worry about getting pregnant from sex a week ago. It won't happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Omg that's such good news to hear, thank you so much! You was very helpful and have calmed me down!Thank you!!

You're very welcome.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.

Thank you for your payment and rating.