How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now

I am having frequent bouts of severe pain which starts on

Customer Question

I am having frequent bouts of severe pain which starts on the right side of my neck and spreads down to my upper stomach. Some 20 years ago I was told I had a stone the size of a small orange. Could this be responsible for the symptoms I'm having?
The pain is sharp and I also feel as though I need to belch it can last for an hour or more but recur soon after again, it is very debilitating leaving me feeling weak and sweaty. It happens day or night.
Many thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is DR. David

where was this stone you had 20 years ago? a kidney stone or gall bladder stone?

your symptoms sound more likely to be from excessive stomach acid which can cause acid reflux, heart burn, belching, sore throat, sour taste in the back of the mouth

certain foods can worsen stomach acid like alcohol, spicy foods, oily and fatty foods, fried foods, sodas, tomato sauces, large meals, sodas, black pepper. you may have to change your diet to avoid these

these are also stomach acid reducers like maalox or mylanta or zantac or prilosec which can help decrease stomach acid levels.

have you tried any of these over the counter stomach acid reducers before?

what do you eat regularly?