Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I keep getting low potassium levels and being given oral

I keep getting low potassium levels and being given oral supplements but I stupidly keep reading things that say my levels are too low and I should be hospitalised but I'm never hospitalised for it. Is this an old practice?
I am 45yr old female, I have active UC, AIH, PSC, underactive thyroid, sjogrens syndrome and have had a right hemi-colectomy for bowel cancer 8yr ago, no stoma, a resection hence active UC in resection. Today potassium level is 2.9, it has been as low as 2.4

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

has your mag level been checked?

can you list all your meds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't been told if they have been checked. I currently take 25mg of Mercpatopurine and 6mg of budesonide and wear a patch 25mg of Morphine. Now just been told to start 6 tablets of 470mg of effervescent potassium

They need to check your magnesium

if potassium won't correct it is because mag is low

I'm shocked this hasn't been done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm currently exhausted all the time close to tears I'm that tired, I do work full time, would the low potassium be making me this tired? And I take it I'm not about to have a cardiac arrest as everything I read says. am I worrying unnecessarily?

Yes, this can cause fatigue

2.9 is not cardiac arrest range

but 2.4 is certainly scary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help.

welcome :)

please don't forget a positive rating

I appreciate it. :)