How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19316
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

How do I help my 22 year old son's drink addiction? He is

Customer Question

How do I help my 22 year old son's drink addiction? He is losing everyone around him and he does ask for help once in a while and when we start putting things in place, he turns around and says everything is ok. What is our next step, he is hiding in his room, rarely goes out and is losing friends and girlfriend. He is lost and it doesnt help he has type 1 diabetes since age 14.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is no good answer to your question. If someone with an addiction wants to continue using the substance to which they are addicted, whether alcohol or drugs, there is little that family, friends, or their doctor can do to stop them.

It is good to be supportive whenever they express any interest or effort in remaining abstinent. It is also appropriate to be certain that you are not in an indirect way supporting the addiction, including rescuing him if he gets into trouble.

It may help you to seek counseling for yourself or to attend a support group for family members of people with alcohol addiction, and by helping and strengthening yourself, you may be better able to be certain that you are not indirectly supporting the addiction.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.