How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gupta Your Own Question
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 8259
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Gupta is online now

My grandson aged 11suffers from acute constipation.he has

Customer Question

my grandson aged 11suffers from acute constipation.he has had this from age 3 and the doctors put in an a movicol regime which softens it up but he will not go on the toilet he gets hysterical when we try to get him to go.he tenses up and will not pass a stool .is there anything we can get him to make him relax and get his head to accept the toilet
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 1 year ago.


Persistent constipation at 11 years is a significant challenge and difficult to manage without the help of multiple health care givers including prefereably a pediatric gastroenterologist and a psychologist.

The basic cause of the symptoms is the fear of painful defecation, that is causing him to avoid passing stools and does not allow him to relax.

We need to use a local anesthetic cream to anesthetize the bum temporarily when he is going to the bathroom, and then use a regular stool softener without stopping it for at least a few months to a few years!

All the best,

Warm regards