How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5642
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

I was wondering if you could help me with something. I have

This answer was rated:

My name is ***** ***** I was wondering if you could help me with something. I have never used this site before so if I am doing something wrong, I apologise in advance. Basically I am having a lot of issues with my lower calves area. If I walk more than a few dozen feet, even at a slow pace, they both get excruciatingly painful. If I rest for around a minute, they're perfectly fine again but start hurting once more once I start going again. It's worse when I go up small hills, hurt regardless. I have tried ankle supports but they do little good. I'm not sure if painkillers would do anything considering they only hurt when and only when I walk. This issues has been present for a few years now but have gotten a lot worse over the past few months. I go to University so I can't afford to take time off to rest them. I'm honestly at a loss of what to do. It's gotten to the stage where I don't want to go into university because they hurt so much. I can't get an appointment with my GP for another few weeks.
I would be very grateful for any advice

Hi Kayleigh. Have you been evaluated by a doctor for this anytime over the past few years?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I haven't gone to them. Until now it hasn't been that big an issue.

Do you notice anything unusual when you look at your legs? Is there any asymmetry or atrophy (muscle shrinkage)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really, no. I'm overweight so they are slightly swollen but nothing overly noticeable.

Calf pain with walking may indicate that you have claudication. This can be neurogenic from crowding of your spinal cord in the back (spinal stenosis) or vascular from disease in the blood vessels supplying the legs. These conditions need to be ruled out. Your GP can do this. In addition, it would be a good idea to get an ultrasound study of your calves to rule out blood clots, which often cause pain and swelling. If these more serious conditions have been ruled out, then one can consider musculoskeletal causes such as tendonitis or myositis (inflammation in the muscles).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can I do about this in the mean time. I'm at university every day and my GP doesn't open on the weekend. So it may take some time to actually get this seen to. Can you suggest anything I can do to subdue the pain?

If you tolerate aspirin, this will help reduce any inflammation, mitigate pain and thin the blood in case there is a circulation problem. Pain creams can also be helpful. Try massaging one into the calves several times per day. Finally, be sure to gently stretch your calves 2 or 3 times daily. You can do this by leaning forward against a wall while keeping your feet flat on the ground.

Dr. Bob and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never had aspirin, but it's worth a go. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it