How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9577
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

Should I see a Neurologist or Gastroenterologists? I have a

This answer was rated:

Should I see a Neurologist or Gastroenterologists?I have a severe constant pain whenever I'm sitting down, it's on the upper
left side of my abdomen, it's always in the same place. This place hurts when I'm using my laptop or when
I'm watching TV or when I'm sitting on the bus. Sometimes I get sharp stabbing pain on the left side of
my stomach. The pain seems to dissapear after I stand up.I did legal research on case reports where the claimant won their claim regarding the injury they suffered from as a result of Hepatitis B vaccine. 5 out of 11 case reports I found were Nerve or muscle related.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Since the pain is related to muscle movement and positional it is most like muscular and you should see a neurologist in this case.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.


Dr Uzair and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I showed the location of the pain to my GP and he said it's the spleen. It's always the same place the location of the pain. Do you still think it's muscular or organ related?

Since a good clinical examination can differentiate between muscular or organ pain, So according to the examination done by your GP you should see a gastroenterologist or medical specialist.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't done an examination. I just showed my GP the area of the pain and he said it's where the spleen is.

Thanks for the reply.

In that case it would be best to see gastroentrologist or medical specialist as he can address both type of pain either muscular or arising from internal organs.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I know it's not my stomach because when I eat, I can feel the food go down my system normally but then I sometimes get the upper left abdominal pain, it is different I can feel the stomach processing food and the upper left abdominal pain both at the same time, and they are in two different locations.

This can be from spleen, or colon or pancrease so a thorough examination is needed.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I should go see a Neurologist and it the test comes out normal, then go see a gastroentrologist?

Yes, You can do that.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Ultrasound scan coming up, what tests would a gastroentrologist do?

He would like to have ultrasound so see him after getting ultrasound. He might order blood test liver function tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had normal blood tests done and it all came out fine.