How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11887
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Type Your Medical Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now

My brother 54 years old. Rehabilitated from addiction 5

Customer Question

My brother 54 years old. Rehabilitated from addiction 5 years ago. And still ok. But has developed a morbid fixation of idea that he is destined to be a support worker for addict people . So much so that he has refused to take any help and for the last 3 months is living on the road waiting for the job offer to come and not willing to take any financiak help .even requests to get a room . How to tackle this situation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is showing signs of schizophrenia, he does not trust anyone and thinks some force or people are working against him. He has also shown history of auditory hallicinations fr the past 4 years. Now how can we get him help if he refuses to take any help or treatment. He is completely isolated and seperated from his family with no contact with his wife and children. Please let me know what i can do or what can be done to get him help and if he needw to be admitted into a psych hospital, what is the procedure for that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Is he living in his car?

What was he addicted to?

Does your brother have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is living on the road, sleeps on a bench outside in the cold. He does not own a car nor does he take any help in finding a place to stay.
He has been a Herione Addict for more than 20years and has been clean for the last 4 to 5 years.
He does not take any other medication. He has no co morbids such as diabetes hypertension or Heart disease and non smoker for the past 2 years.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

Your best bet to get him help is to get social services involved. If this doesn't work then maybe the police can help....

The only problem with the police is that they may arrest him if he is breaking the law and, while going to jail will get him off the street, out of the cold with access to food, medical care, showers and a warm place to sleep, it will get him enmeshed in the courts....

Another option might be, if he can be found to be a danger to himself or others, to get two MDs to put him in the hospital on a 72 hour hold pending judicial review of his competence.

The sad truth is that if he refuses all help and care there really is nothing that can be done to force him to move forward.

Make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS