How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Anil Kumar Your Own Question
Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 10110
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Anil Kumar is online now

I have red blotches on my penis. It comes and goes. They are

This answer was rated:

I have red blotches on my penis. It comes and goes. They are not painful, don't itch, don't appear to be lesions/herpes, there is no swelling, no nothing, just blotches. I wash my penis twice a day with an antibacterial soap. Any idea what it could be?

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

History of unprotected sex?

Do you have blotches on other parts of body?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

If possible please upload picture of affected area?

Burning sensation?


Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No history of unprotected sex.
No blotches on any other part of the body.
Suffering for about 6 weeks
No medical history
Currently taking allopurinol for gout
No burning sensation, no itching - it comes and goes.
I've attached a picture.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Thanks for all these additional information.
I understand your concern.

I have reviewed your picture and as you describe possible causes may include Irritant balanoposthitis/Candidal balanoposthitis.

This is an inflammatory reaction of the glans penis and/or surrounding skin to smegma - which is the natural secretion from glands around the glans penis.

Excessive moisture can also contribute to fungal infection also.

When the spots come apply a mixture of 1% Cortizone cream and Bacitracin ointment immediately over the spots - this should take care of them in a few hours.

Also take OTC Motrin and Claritin for few days.

You should use OTC Abzorb powder.

While bathing avoid using soaps on the penis, instead use a soap free cleanser to gently clean the glans penis and the surrounding skin everyday.

Apply a moisturizer like cetaphil lotion there immediately after toweling up.

Avoid very hot water while bathing as this can again irritate the sensitive skin down there.

Wear loose fitted cotton clothes to prevent friction.

If your symptoms'll persist then see a dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't think this could be a STD?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Chances of STD are less.

Try such self care measures to see if they respond.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Dr Anil Kumar and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you