How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19458
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

Had shingles right arm 3 months ago. worst signs have gone.

Customer Question

Had shingles right arm 3 months ago. worst signs have gone.
Have 3 fingers which feel like pins and needles and swelling with restricted
movement. What can I take for relief ???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to assist you.

There are several options for relief of the pins and needles sensation. The most commonly used are various oral medicines, particularly certain anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, or certain antidepressants, such as amitriptyline or duloxetine. There also is a cream that is over the counter in many countries, called capsaicin cream, which can help to relieve these symptoms. It takes 2-3 weeks to build up in the system, and may cause increased tingling during this period, but as it builds up in the system, this tingling and the underlying symptoms will improve.

For the swelling, it may help to wear compression of the arm, which can be done using an ACE bandage wrapped around the arm or dedicated arm compression glove or sleeve.

There also are certain physical therapy modalities that can help to relieve symptoms.

Of these interventions, the only intervention that can be done without seeing your doctor would be the capsaicin cream, but you can discuss the other options with your doctor.

If i can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.