How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now

My son aged 51 has increasingly had panic attacks. However

Customer Question

My son aged 51 has increasingly had panic attacks. However his anxiety has increased and over the past two weeks he has been drinking heavily as he feels this subdues his anxiety. His anxiety manifests itself with pains across his chest, a sense of feeling short of breath, like the world is running too fast. He also gets bi-lateral tingling and a general feeling that his skin is almost itchy. He also becomes very aware of pains in his body.
He has been really bad over the past two weeks drinking excessively and he needs to get emergency treatment fast. He has had a course of CBT which does not seem to have worked and is on 20mg of citaprilam (spelling?). Please advise re how to get NHS treatment.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

treatment through the NHS is through his primary care doctor

he needs to get a GP general practitioner doctor to assess his anxiety symptoms

who is prescribing his citalopram?

he may need additional medicaitons like diazepam or clonazepam to help decrease his anxiety symptoms

he also needs to be placed into a program to help him stop his alcohol use as well.