How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2418
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Family Physician is online now

My son has had a blocked ear with solid ear wax and is in a

Customer Question

My son has had a blocked ear with solid ear wax and is in a lot of pain, he has had this ear problem for the last 8 days, we have seen a doctor 3 times with in the last 8 days. They have confirmed they do not think this is an ear infection, just blocked wax thats pushing on the inner ear and causing the pain. They have given him olive oil and bicarbonate ear drops which we have been using for 8 days this has not helped at all. My son is 9 years old and is in a lot of pain, he is not eating as much as usual and looks very pale, he does not have a temperature. I sent max to school on Monday but was called to pick him up by 1 o clock because he was in a lot of pain. He has been unable to go back to school and the school are not happy with his attendance. I really do not know what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

we have to get that ear wax out of his ear.

dried ear wax can expand when wet with olive oil and bicarbonate.

these measures are meant to soften the ear wax so it can be easier to remove with forcepts or a curette.

the ENT doctors or nurses should help you to be able to remove the wear wax once it has soften.

there are over the counter water irrigation systems to help try to irritate and get hard ear wax out of the ear.

once the ear wax is removed, the doctors can better examine his ear and check for inner ear infections.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is the doctors appt i have for the ENT specialist is December 7th and he is in pain and can not attend his school, i really don't know what to do next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told by the doctors not to put anything unprescribed in his ear.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you can take him to the ER or urgent care center to have a doctor or nurse there to help look in his ear to help get rid of ear wax in his ear.