Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I need help with my 17 week old son. From the get go he's

Customer Question

I need help with my 17 week old son. From the get go he's had trouble feeding. He didn't latch properly, has silent reflux, been told he has a possible dairy allergy. I've tried everything. He is on ranitidine which has seemed to make him more comfortable laying down. I'm back on dairy though as being dairy free didn't seem to work and he started to refuse the aptimel pepti. I am now feeding him hipp organic and I'm expressing because he was becoming extremely fussy feeding from me. Pulling, crying, clenching up as if in terrible pain. He keeps being sick after every feed. Quite a lot. One day he'll be ok, but the next it'll fall out of him! Before he is sick he gets really upset. I'm thinking should I try the aptimel pepti again? I don't want to keep changing formula. My doctors don't help. My health visitors say they'll call me back but rarely do. If they do they palm me off with "it's teething" or "try a sling" I'm soooooo tired as at night he wakes every 20 mins in pain! I have a 16 month old as well and i can't cope with this anymore. I need help.
Expert:  the-good-doctor replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr Phil. Do you think you can help?

how often do you use the ranitidine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
0.3ml 3 x per day

I would consider going up to omeprazole

have you considered this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. He had silent reflux. I'm worried he's being sick because of the milk. It's like it hurts him drinking it. When he wakes at night every 20 minutes or so, I'll raise his legs and get some wind out of him and he'll fall asleep. I don't think the problem is reflux anymore. I could tell when that was the issue because he kept swallowing and coughing. I think the issue is his digestive system, I just don't know what or how to deal with it.

Perhaps in that case you need to back off on the ranitidine

It might be having side effects

Either that or a probiotic or both

is this helpful?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But he had these symptoms before the ranitidine?

I see.

Then in that case, I think you are correct

it could be an allergy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that's how you are going to help me? What a waste of money!! Again I'm getting no help from a so called professional. I was desperate enough to chance this £24, but I've now learned my lesson not to do that again.

Right but what have you tried for the possible allergy

have you changed to rice milk or anything like that?

it could be a gluten allergy