Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

2 Years ago I suffered what I'd call a cardiac episode.

2 Years ago I suffered what I'd call a cardiac episode. Tightness in the chest and left arm, dizziness & shortness of breath. At the hospital I was told it was indigestion, but I would be sent for tests. I undertook the required tests Scan and Catheteriation, the latter revealing a minor build in the left and right arteries. I was prescribed Aspirin - Statins - Bopropol, all of which was followed with a prescription of a GTN spray. It was then diagnosed as being Unstable Angina.
I have recently had an increase in the need to use the spray. following shortness of breath and tightness etc. and revisited the GP, who now tells me I have indigestion. I'm totally confused as to what it is I really have. Can you help me make sense of the confusion please.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Since you have proven build in your heart arteries, unstable angina is more likely. Your symptoms of chest tightness, shortness of breath, dizziness worsening with physical activities also suggest the likelihood of angina. Indigestion or acid reflux will not cause worsening symptoms with activities. Hence you will need to see a heart specialist for another work up. Instead of using GTN spray frequently, Isosorbide Mononitrate can be used as tablet form once or twice daily with longer action.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/