Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Brother suffers from Ataxia, Friday went to Accident &

Brother suffers from Ataxia, Friday went to Accident & Emergency with right leg (hip to knee) badly swollen and hard plus warm to touch. Diagnosed with blood clot and given blood thinner medication. Question is the leg is now starting to swell below the knee into the calf, should we go back to emergency department or is this the next step and normal?

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

The swelling is due to the blockage to the blood flow in the veins affected by the blood clots. This is expected for first 4 to 6 weeks. Compression stockings, leg elevation as much as possible will help to reduce the swelling. Lasix or diuretic pills also may help to some extent. In some cases, blood clots may need to be removed from the deep veins to improve blood flow. He should consult with a vascular surgeon for further evaluation. ER visit not necessary.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/