How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Physician Your Own Question
The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1122
Experience:  Versatile emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
The Physician is online now

Working in the bedroom moving a set of draws my wife noticed

This answer was rated:

working in the bedroom moving a set of draws my wife noticed a large black mark on my back resting this black mark slowly faded away.but i must say i have had cancer and had treatment is this anything to worry about.


welcome to JA, I am a physician and would be your expert today.

I have a few quick questions.

Did your treatment involve Radiotherapy?

Are you taking any blood thinners?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i did have radiotherapy a few months ago only take asprinin

The black patch may have been ecchymosis, which is a form of extravasation of blood under the skin. Usually, as the blood which is red stays for a period it turns from red to blue and then black. And may begin to fade as the body reabsorbs the blood (like the back and blue eyes after injury) It is normal if it occurs where there has been prolonged pressure, like resting back on an uneven surface for a long period. It may also be an indication that the clotting mechanism is not functioning well.

The commonest abnormalities are

  • ​Low platelet count in persons who had chemotherapy and OR radiotherapy
  • Persons taking blood thinners including Aspirin
  • Persons with blood disorders like Leukemia or lymphoma
  • Persons with liver disorders

​I would advise that you make an appointment with your GP to do another blood count, and include liver function tests and PT/PTT/ INR which checks your blood clotting.

If it happen again, you may have to go to the emergency for more urgent tests

  • Thanks for making it JA. Please click accept and rate y answer
The Physician and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you