Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am 28 years old. I am very fit and athletic. I perform

I am 28 years old. I am very fit and athletic. I perform lots of sports, and usually outrun most others in terms of cardiovascular performance, but when I am stressed, I feel twitching pains in my chest and sometimes the left side of my abdomen. Occasionally I will feel tingling in my fingers, legs, etc. I have been to a doctor who said that everything seemed fine and I should not worry. Can you provide me with an explanation of what is happening so I may understand it, therefore giving me peace of mind?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

You are suffering from excessive anxiety and stress that are probably causing these symptoms. Another possibility is dehydration.

The other possible causes are:

Nervous exhaustion,

Muscle fatigue due to increased physical activity,
Chronic use of muscles without break,
Increase intake of caffeine,
Reduced sleep time,
Thyroid hormone abnormalities,
Lowered electrolytes such as calcium,
Vitamin deficiencies.

If your doctor has said everything is fine then you should not worry.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you. Can you explain what is happening physically to help give me peace of mind? For example, if you were to say it is due to the contraction of blood vessels which temporarily occurs under stress... or something similar to explain what is physically happening? Thanks.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

The cause is likely to be due to the release of stress hormones when you are anxious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/entry/adrenaline-cortisol-stress-hormones_n_3112800

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.