Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I am 22 weeks pregnant with twins following ivf. I was

I am 22 weeks pregnant with twins following ivf. I was taking 150mg sertraline daily up until around 12 weeks, then reduced to 50mg until i stopped completely taking them at around 15 weeks.
I am beginning to not feel myself again, and I am worried if this will cause any harm to my babies? Would they get withdrawal symptoms in the womb? Is it safe for my babies to start again on them, or can stop/starting cause harm?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

What was the reason you were taking the sertraline?

What do you mean by not felling yourself? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I starting taking them when we found out my husband needed a kidney transplant and that we needed ivf within 2 days of one another.
I had a very tough time dealing with both pieces of news and thought Matthew was going to die and that I wouldn't have any children and be left alone.Now I am starting to feel a little anxious as we have come so far and I don't want anything to go wrong. Matt is doing well and so are babies. But I worry if I lost them I would go back to that horrible dark place again.

I won't try a phone call, since I've not had much luck in phoning to the UK from the US.

In general, women taking sertraline during pregnancy usually have normal babies. Most studies have not really looked at going off and then back on sertraline. But in general, even if you go back on the sertraline, I think the chances are excellent that your babies will be normal.

Sertraline can sometimes be associated with smaller babies or babies born somewhat early, and that tends to also be a problem with twins. However, I believe that most doctors feel that if a woman needs sertraline during pregnancy, any possible risk is worth it, since the risk is small.

There are no definite answers, but I would say that if you need the sertraline, please discuss it with your doctor, and probably take it. The risk of twins being born somewhat early is likely the main risk you face, and taking sertraline will likely have minimal effect on this risk. Best wishes.