Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I had 4 surgeries- appendicitis,Caesarian, hysterectomy

I had 4 surgeries- appendicitis,Caesarian, hysterectomy leaving one ovary and three years on the removal of remaining ovary which had adhered to bowel, bladder and fat of my back. I was told that there remained a significant amount of adhesions on opposite side and later a gynaecologist referred me to another hospital so that a urologist and enterologist would be on hand for further surgery. however, I found that the specialisms did not work together and saw a urologist for three years before being referred to an enterologist, then another urologist and more cystoscopies causing scarring of urethra, so an op to stretch that again. I was referred to a different gynaecologist who advised surgery to separate adhesions in right abdo. But only if I agreed to have a temporary colostomy to keep the area clean. However, when he received the notes from the previous hospital he said alarm bells rang about opening up my abdomen due to complications following previous surgery, when the wound opened a week after op due to a large clot. I believe that this was due to the removal of the drainage bottle too soon after surgery and a build up of post op. Discharge. I have managed adhesion pain but continued to have blood in urine for over 20 years, frequent uti's, a small stone on two occasions and there is evidence of scarring on kidneys from frequent infections. I swore I would never have another cystoscopy because the pain never starts in bladder but high up on rt. side, but my GP insisted . The latest result shows a rotated kidney. Was I born with this or has it happened due to adhesions pulling on the tube from my kidney . The original gynaenacologist predicted problems eventually with kidney from adhesions if not released which was why he referred me elsewhere in the first place. Now I have another UTI from the cystoscopy and I am at my wits end.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these issues.

what bacteria is growing in your urine?

the best way to treat a UTI is to get a urine culture to see what bacteria is growing in your urine.

burning in your urine may not be due to bacteria in your urine.

bladder spasms, bladder muscle cramps, interstitial cystitis, urethral scaring can cause burning when you urinate and urinary urgency and frequency of urination.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rarely burning but awful pain in right side as if something is pulled, and the need to urinate frequently. A few days after the pulling pain in rt.side blood always shows in urine. Tests do not always reveal an infection, sometimes there is just the blood and protein. Other times there has been evidence of a bacterial infection and I have had many prescriptions for Trimethoprim and last time amoxicillin. I don't know which bacteria were present. I should note I seem allergic to a few of the specific antibiotics for uti's e.g Nitrofuantin? I have tried to avoid acidic foods, treated Candida and regularly take lactobacillus acidophilus. I have had bouts of 'ordinary' cistitis symptoms but these are different to the pulling and spasms in my side which frequently start symptoms a few days later.

you most likely have a lot of scar tissue around your bladder.

yoga and stretching and physical therapy and exercise and deep breathing can help you stretch some of the scar tissue inside of your abdomen.

drinking more water and fluids can help stretch your bladder

you want to avoid caffeine and alcohol and spicy foods which can irritate the inside of your bladder.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would adhesions pulling cause my kidney to rotate?

yes, adhesions can cause kidneys to rotate.

your prior surgeries can cause scar tissue which can cause this as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to continue, but if that is the case should the adhesions be separated? I am aware that more surgery could cause more adhesions to form but I am unable to work because it is causing such problems and antibiotics all the time seem to be undermining all my hard work to keep well otherwise. No-one seems to join up the dots .

surgery is risky.

you have to be able to heal from surgery

if you have had problems with healing before, you may be worse off after surgery.

you should work on improving your diet, eating lean protein, fruits and vegetables and cutting out sugars, gluten, white flour, pasta, bread, sodas, alcohol, junk food, fast food and exercising and stretching as much as you can.

if you get stronger and loose weight, you may be able to heal and tolerate surgery in a few months.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done all of the above and I realise that I am older so it is more risky .I don't think I would have had a problem healing before if the drainage bottle was not switched off to enable me to go to the toilet because the hospital was short staffed and couldn't provide a bedpan. It was not switched back on and despite my protestations that my stomache swelled the bottle was removed as no more discharge showed. It built up inside until the wound reopened and I was cleaned out and resutured. I do not expect you to comment and it is water under the bridge as I was asked to sign a disclaimer which I did as I just wanted to go home. However, it is likely that the grunge contributed to more adhesions, but maybe if done properly I would have some relief. Should I attempt to see someone specialising in abdominal scarring or not waste my money?

you can see a general surgeon at a larger academci university medical center where they have surgeons who are more experienced in doing surgery in patients who have had many surgeries before

you can work on building up muscles by eating protein and exercising and loosing excessive weight to help your body be able to tolerate another surgery.

improving your diet can help your healing and immune system if you have another surgery

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com