the-good-doctor
the-good-doctor, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Doctor
55099014

Where do I start. I have been having pains in the liver area

Where do I start. I have been having pains in the liver area for the past few weeks and sometimes pain on the left hand upper and lower quadrant. I feel perfectly well though I'm concerned about the pain and feel that it may be down to excessive alcohol consumption.
A few years ago I was told after a scan that I had some fat on the liver, and two years ago I had blood tests which were fine.
What I am now concerned about is that because I have not curtailed my drinking (3 to 4 drinks a day) then it may have led so more serious complications. i.e.cirrhosis.
The pain has also graduated around my back the past few days.
I am a 42 years old male who has been drinking like this for quite some years and otherwise feel perfect. I do exercise regular, eat pretty well, but just have the taste for a drink each evening.
Any information would be most appreciated?
Mark

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

what triggers it mark?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it started last week very mildly, and this weekend I have been in Spain, probably having more than the recommended daily intake and the symptoms are more acute.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to add that the pain at this moment in time is centered on the right side and back and feels as though it is radiating upwards

does eating do anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I can't say that it does. I eat regular meals each day with no complications.

Okay good.

how much were you drinking?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
typically 3-4 drinks per day. On holiday perhaps 5-6 over the course of a day. I'm concerned that perhaps the long term drinking has now brought something to fruition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only beers, not strong spirits I should add for both.

It is probably inflamed but it can be healed

the liver is highly resilient

just stop drinking and eat healthy and exercise and it will be okay
I would get a follow up CAT scan to make sure this is what the pain is

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Out of interest would there be serious symptoms with the more serious liver diseases?

Yes, jaundice, easy bruising/bleeding, confusion

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, and just one final thing. If I was to continue in this way could it lead to serious complications or would I need to be drinking a lot more severe than this? I do intend do have a lifestyle change but would like to think that I can still drink at weekends....moderately.

It can progress over time but it usually takes a long time