Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I pulled my neck out last week on Monday, I couldn't move

I pulled my neck out last week on Monday, I couldn't move for 2 days, now I can but I'm in so much pain! I've been off of work a week and I don't know whether to try to go back to work on Monday or go to the doctor. When I don't move it doesn't hurt but whenever I try to move, get out of the house, go food shopping it's too much pain for me

Hello I'm Dr Chip

How exactly did you injure your neck?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm not sure, I have cubital tunnel syndrome that has recently come back apparently the ulner nerve is connected to my neck. That's all I can think of. Although I have pulled my neck out before for no reason

So no real trauma involved?

Is the pain limited to your neck or does it go down your arm too?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not down my arm but down my shoulder blades and back
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just checking in only going to be charged once and not for every time we talk? Right

There's no extra charge for how long we spend here

But I need a little more information please

Did this just suddenly hit you out of the blue?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I went to bed Sunday night completely fine and woke up on Monday in agony. I hadn't done anything in particular the day before, I tried to go to work but was in so much pain that I gave up, I've done a mixture of resting, heat packs, paracetamol & ibeprofen and then switched to naproxen & co-codamol when that didn't work. I went out on Saturday for the first time in a week and did Tesco's shopping and pets at home and was exhausted but mainly in so much pain! I had a shower on Thursday night hoping the hot water would help and I woke up worse
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm not sure whether to try and go back to work tomorrow or go to the doctors and get something like muscle relaxants which I've never used before but at this point would be happy to take! I work at a desk and sit in a chair for 8 hours a day in front of computer monitors

OK

Then I don't think it's a disk problem in your neck and it isn't related to your ulnar nerve

It sounds like what's called myofascial pain with an accompanying trigger point--a tight ball of muscle spasm--probably in your trazezius muscle

At this point you need to see your doctor for an exam and a cortisone injection in the trigger point and a prescription for a combination of a muscle relaxant and oral prednisone to take care of this

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That's great! Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sounded really excited but was slightly worried you would say walk it off and wasn't sure if that would make it worse being sat at work so is moving or resting better before I go to the doctors tomorrow is time off work better or should I be moving it

No, don't try to walk it off--just rest for now

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok thank you ��

My pleasure and call on me anytime