wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City

I have had an antibiotic resistant UTI for the last year.

I have had an antibiotic resistant UTI for the last year. The only drug left is Nitrofurantoin which clears the E coli bug for a few days and then it returns.
I visited a Urologist last week who suggested I try a very powerful drug Fosfomycin (Monurol) Obviously I can't take Nitrofurantoin indefinitely as I have had repeated prescriptions this year. Is this new drug safe as it is not readily available in this country ? Do you have any alternative advice as I have taken cranberry tablets,
garlic tablets daily too.
Your advice would be much appreciated Joan Stevens

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am waiting for your reply
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't call you at the moment. Please text reply.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I need advice from a Urologist not an eye doctor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please reply to my question.

Just getting ready to head into the clinic.....sorry for the slight delay.

Fosfomycin is an excellent, very broad spectrum antibiotic that is strongly bactericidal, which means it kills the bacteria outright instead of just "stunning" them so they die on their own. It is a safe antibiotic for you to use.

This is an excellent choice for your resistant UTI.

Cranberry and garlic tablets, unfortunately, will do very little to help with your situation....

If this doesn't work then your urologist may want to do a cystscopy and obtain tissue samples for specialized testing and microscopic evaluation.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

My pleasure.

I hope this takes care of your UTI for good :)