DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I didn't know which area to put this in, so I just choose

Hi, I didn't know which area to put this in, so I just choose General Medical.I'm asking this question, in relation to my fears that I may have contracted Lyme Disease.LD is very rare in my country( Ireland). But my symptoms seem to be very similar to ones associated with LD.They include or have included, constant headaches, fatigue, dehydration, nightweats, joint pain, a rash all over my body and swollen neck glands.I believe I may have came in to contact with a tick after a sexual exposure. When the exposure was over. I rubbed my private parts down with an outside cover or blanket of some sort and when I got home I saw what looked like bite marks on the tip of my penis. I also felt pain in that area, like I had been bitten.I've been tested for so many things since then including a full STI screen (negative). I also got a referrel to a hospital by my GP to a medical assessment unit. I had a full blood count taken, an MRI of the brain, a PET scan and a chest X ray, nothing was abnomal from these tests.My bloods however showed slight liver damage, Rheumatoid elevated and a high cholesterol.I should note that I'm a very anxious person and believe that my worries maybe be making me feel worse.But what are your opinions in relation to me having Lymes?Thank you for your help.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Lyme disease is an infection

In this case usually there are various stages of the disease

Following a tick bite usually there are symptoms of fever,muscle ache,enlarged lymph node and a rash which is quite typical

Then in next stages there is involvement of heart,joint and nervous system.

Tick needs to be attached to the skin for 24 hours usually to give clinically significant manifestations of the disease

In suspected cases a Lyme serological test can be ordered but in your case it seems there is not a clear evidence of a tick bite '

I am available to address any further query you have in this regard

If you are satisfied do leave a POSITIVE RATING(preferably 5-stars) to give me credit

Regards ***** ***** luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.The outside cover or blanket belonged to a person who works in agriculture, and outdoor construction.Is it possible that a tick could survive on such a surface and enter my body via through my private parts?When I got I soaked in a hot bath, and washed my private parts, would that have killed a tick if one was attached?
The symptoms I have now began within 1 day after this event, is the incubation period for Lyme that soon?This event happened four months ago, by now would a person suffering from Lyme be extremely ill. I'm unwell but my daily routine is back to normal and I've been feeling better than before.Do you think I need testing and why/why not?

Yes by four months you must have symptoms specific to LYme

Lyme symptoms appear if the tick get attached to the body and remain there for 24 hours or so

Usually symptoms takes few dats to develop and the earliest symptoms are local skin induration and rash,fever and enlarged lymph node

Usually Lyme is suspected on clinical ground before further investigations so in your case given the fact that you have seen multiple doctors and have multiple tests I don't think that Lyme is a real possibility here

Regards ***** ***** luck

Regards ***** ***** luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.I have read that testing for Lyme Disease can at sometimes be inaccurate.There have been reports of false positives and false negative.After being testing four months possible exposure, would the results be accurate.You say it's unlikely I have Lymes, but could be more specific as to why you believe this?
Lyme disease spread once tick is attached to body for more than 24 hours.
Secondly the clinical picture is quite clear that a rash appear at tick bite which is quite a characteristic one
Fever,arthralgia and tiredness are usual initial symptoms
Your symptoms are quite non specific
Fever an important initial symptom and characteristic rash is also missing
So that's the reason that possibility of Lyme is less likely
A test done at 4 month is unlikely to miss a diagnosis
I am available for any further details
If done and satisfied please leave a POSITIVE RATING so that I can be credited for my services

Regards ***** ***** luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for leaving this out but after the event, I had all of the symptoms that you describe.I had a fever, nightsweats, fatigue, rash swollen neck glands, headache. Joint pain, bruising in the areas that my joints were sore.The event actually took place 6 months ago.Do you believe to be at anymore risk, given the additional information?
No fever,joint pain and rash are earliest symptoms so they shouldn't be appearing after 6 months .
Feel free to ask if you have any more question
If done please leave a POSITIVE RATING so that I may be credited