Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a brother and two sister who had a sub hemorrhage and

I have a brother and two sister who had a sub hemorrhage and each one also had another aneurysm. One sister died and her son aged 23 has just received his mri report which states Intracranial is normal but a small infundibulum is noted on the left at the origin of the left posterior communicating artery. Should he insist his Gp refers him to a neurologist or neurosurgeon so they can keep an eye on this. What would the follow up be on this and is the percentage high of it developing into an aneurysms

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

An infundibulum is normal anatomical variant, a dilatation at the origin of posterior communicating artery from internal carotid artery.

This does not require any further follow up.

However a small aneurysm can sometimes be mistaken as infundibulum.

Hence, in his case, given strong family history of intracranial hemorrage, a repeat MRI/MRA of the brain suggested after one year.

If no change in size, then this is not an aneurysm and no further follow up is needed if he does not have any symptoms.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/