wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I had a CVA - bleed May 2016. I was taken to Hereford and

Customer Question

I had a CVA - bleed May 2016. I was taken to Hereford and scan around 7am and after a short while the lady doctor said you have had a bleed on the brain. She walked off and was cool and calm. Likewise myself. Further scan around 1pm and Consultant saw me on his round. I was fit and should be fine in a few weeks. Apart from speech that was about right. Ten days of ltests before went home. Some memory loss but mainy passwords etc. Words were like a circuit board...each word was like a light coming on again. Took four months to be reasonable. Stopped Occ Therapy after two months and had a few lessons with a mate who is an Opera Singer....that was fascinating and the improvement was amazing. After a further three months I realised that the word "Beautiful" made me speak from the front of my mouth rather than damaged vocal chords lower down....just as my opera mate said.inger.
I played some gentle tennis in 6 weeks after the stroke and my eactions and movement were fine considering I do have kneee probs (osteochondritis....since 18..).
My tennis reactions are now even better....volleys and overheads.....strong backhand and serve.
I was expected to be tired after the stroke but the opposite is the case. Rarely sleep more than 6 hours. (4 plus 1/2).
It is as if the part of my brain affected/died by my brain was taken over by the part of my brain looks after my sport and movement that dominates the Osteochondritis.
Latest blood pressure (3 weeks) with practice nurse under 150..(140/100?). Annual blood test at same time fine...my resting pulse 60-66 roughly.
Medicines - daily:
Alodipine 10mg
Rimiprall 5mg
Vitamin C+ Zinc
For my Osteochondritis/knees
Cod Liver Oil and Flax Oil - both in capsules.
Paracetomol...replaced by Ibroprofene - discussed with local BootsI can see that my fitness got me through to avoud a serious stroke.....but there is an improvement in my reactions that are significant.Is this usual....intrigued!RegardsJames
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr Rick,
My question...Is it unusual that instead of being more tired after my CVA-bleed I was very bright and have a requirement for less sleep. Never had a headache either but my speech was affected.
Six weeks after the CVA I played some gentle tennis practice..not running...walking pace.My reactions playing tennis etc are now very quick re volleys and overheads and all the different shots and serve very well...I was wondering it is unusual for a stroke sufferer to recover so well with no involuntary movements fromday one?
Was the part of my brain affected by my CVA the part of my brain that controls movement?
My main medical condition is Osteochondritis other than High Blood Pressure:
Latest blood pressure test (3 weeks ago) with practice nurse under 150..(140/100?). Annual blood test at same time fine...my resting pulse 60-66 roughly.
Feeling wellMedicines - daily:
For my blood pressure.
Amlodipine 10mg
Rimiprall 5mgFor general health:
Vitamin C+ ZincFor my Osteochondritis/knees
Paracetomol...replaced by Ibroprofene - discussed with localRegardsJames
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any concerns...just intrigued the way my system has reacted. Very fit. Trying to get to see a doctor or consultant for a friendly chat is nigh impossible. Given that after the CVA I was expected to be tired etc. in fact very bright...no physical problems and do not stay asleep for long.
No concerns.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

140/100 is too high for your BP....you might want to talk to your MD about changing medications around to get it down some.

It is very interesting that you are doing so well after your stroke.

At this point there is really no way to tell why you have done so well but, like they say, you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth :)

I hope you continue to do well and do not have any further events.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re blood pressure tests I am a white coat problem. Was much higher and all results copied to my Dr and Consultant. My love of sport entails lots of excerciss for my knees and stretching. I row as well..single sculler. Therefore I was able to withstand the CVA....I was treated as "fast tracker" in getting bettrr. But never overdo it. Have done 2x30mins tennis today. One at 8am the other at 3.30pm. 20 balls forehand and backhand. Then serving from other direction. Do same most days.
Thanks for the chat...if I have issues I go direct to my GP.
My consultant realised my fitness staved of a more serious situation....you have pretty much backed it up.
Thanks for sparing the time.Kind RegardsJames
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure.

Have a good weekend.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS