Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a very itch and sore skin condition which is located

I have a very itch and sore skin condition which is located on the palmost of my hands only. I have it 2 years and it never goes away completely. The skin hardens, dries and cracks. It's very itchy, sore and burns , more at night..I use clobetasol 0.05 % at night with rubber gloves on when it's bad..it helps but when I stop it returns worse than ever...it's so difficult as I'm not getting sleep and most days I'm tired and unable to use my hands fully.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

2 years is a long time.

you could have psoriasis of your hands.

you should use the clobetasol steroid cream daily and see a dermatologist

urea or salicylic acid can thin down the thick scaling skin

Calcipotriene can also effectively treat psoriasis on hands

if topical steroids medications do not work, your doctor may recommend methotrexate, cyclosporine or Soriatane (acitretin). Methotrexate can clear many cases of palm and sole psoriasis within four to six weeks.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are thenjoying treat your recommend topical or oral..ie tablet form ?

methotrexate and those are oral

Calcipotriene is topical form of vitamin D and can slow down the growth of cells on the skin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that Doctor. It improves when I'm on a Sun holiday but that max 2 weeks..when I return home it is back with a vengeance .Vit D sunlight. . Presuming my doctor gives me the med you advise do you have any advice on keeping it away. Vitamin D orally help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is methotrexate risky to take ? Any advice on keeping the psoriasis away. .Vitamin D supplements or any anything else?

you may benefit from vitamin D therapy

PUVA UV light therapy could help you as well.

vitamin D orally most likely will not cut it

psoriasis is a condition where your body's immune system makes too many antibodies which attack your skin of your hands

methotrexate can suppress your immune system and decrease these antibodies attacking your skin.

there are small risks with methotrexate but not severe at low doses you need for psoriasis.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com