Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I've been seeing a lot online about melanoma in the nail bed

Hello,I've been seeing a lot online about melanoma in the nail bed in the form of a vertical line that has got me worried. I have a vertical bright white stripe on my left thumb nail (think I began to notice it when I had gel nails filed off about 5 months ago) and although it isn't at all brown in colour I am unsure whether it could still be dangerous as it hasn't grown out with the nail?Thank you

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Can you send a picture for me to look at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you- please see picture attached

This does not look like a melanoma. Melanomas are darker. They are either in a straight line or rounded and very well circumscribed in the nail. They do not grow with the nail either. However, if you are concerned then the best thing to do is to have this evaluated by your PCP on your next scheduled visit.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I ask what it could be if not melanoma? Would you expect it to disappear on its own? Thank you

This can be a post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Which can occur as a response to allergies, fungal infections, trauma etc.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.