wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

For the last couple of weeks have been having random muscle

Hi my name is ***** ***** for the last couple of weeks have been having random muscle spasms in any part of the body. Is more prominent at night and keeps me awake. No other neuro symptoms. Am not mineral or vitamin deficient I don't think. Not dehydrated. Am a nurse so job can be stressful.
Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

It sounds like you are suffering from a form of myokymia. This is very common during times of stress like you are experiencing at work

This is nothing to be worried about. Please allow me to explain:

The most likely cause of your symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.

Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.

The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.

Here is an excellent article on this topic:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213160-overview

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your answer. A little relieved it's nothing more sinister. Getting more sleep is difficult as the twitching keeps me awake. Am trying quinine with not much improvement. What about diazepam or gabapentin? Am so tired and work 12 hr shifts. Take little caffeine. It's going on and on.

Diazepam or something like lunesta might work well although it probably wouldn't stop the muscle twitches just make you sleep through them.

I'm not sure about gabapentin.....

You might want to get a "hallway consult" when you next come across a neurologist during your regular duties. I do those all the time :)

Does this make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Twitches in the muscles ongoing. There is no let up. Am nauseous and not able to eat. Losing weight also. Been to doctor. Got bloods done and am off work. Having headaches. Doctor not able to offer diagnosis as she says symptoms are vague. Gave me antiI emetic. Going back for results wednesday.

Hopefully something will turn up on Wednesday.

But I'd start prowling the hallways at work and snag a neurologist for a quick hallway consult and an offer to squeeze you into her office schedule for a full evaluation since your current MD doesn't seem to be able to help.