wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

My 10 year old son has come out in red spots. Mostly on his

My 10 year old son has come out in red spots. Mostly on his torso, some on arms and legs. He does not have a temperature. Up to date with vaccinations. He was very unwell with a high temperature last Sunday (40). Small cough.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Where and how extensive is this rash on his body?

Any other symptoms?

Fever?

Did the rash come on all at once or start in spots and then spread?

How long has the rash been present?

Can you upload a few pictures of the rash?

Does your child have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. The spots are on his front torso, arms, legs, with some on his ankles, neck, back and and one. Only other symptoms are slight cough. No fever or headache or upset stomach (no loss of apetite).The spots appeared yesterday morning with a few and have spread through the day/night. They are not itchy.No other medical problem. No medication. He was very unwell last weekend with a high temperature and off school two days with flu-like symptoms.Pic of spots attached. Happy to talk by Skype.

Thank you for that additional information and pictures.

Those sure look like chicken pox......all five of my kids had them at one time or another.

That being said, your son doesn't have all the symptoms that go along with this infection...but, everyone is different.

Here is a very good article from a highly respected source you might find helpful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chickenpox/symptoms-causes/syc-20351282

So. What should you do?

Take your son to the pediatrician tomorrow so as to get a definitive diagnosis.

There is no specific therapy needed at home at this time.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. He has had chicken pox before. Does that change your diagnosis? A few kids in his class had chicken pox last week.

Ya.....it is very unusual to get chicken pox a second time......even if it is going through his classroom right now.

Is it impossible? Nothing is impossible in the world of medicine.

However, at this point, a correct diagnosis is going to require an upclose and personal exam by his pediatrician

I don't think he needs a trip to the A&E today for this since he is, basically, feeling OK....

Sorry I couldn't nail this one down for you :(

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS