Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have had an underactive thyrid for the last 5 years and on

Customer Question

I have had an underactive thyrid for the last 5 years and on 100mg thyroxine.For the last four months had hair breaking and falling out,had micronutrient test done which came back with few deficiencies but especially severe iodine deficiency(12).My nutritionist suggested multivitamins supplements with iodine in it but said to make sure and check with the doctor if completely safe to have iodine and whether it's going to have negetaive impact on the thyroid.5 years ago was tested privately and blood results came back with antibodies and autoimmune underactive thyroid.Is it ok for me to take the multivitamin supplements with iodine in it,suggested ny the nutritionist BioCare FemForteMulti with 150ug of iodine in it.I have asked several doctors but getting confusing answers.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I have had thyroid problems myself with graves disease and have studied the thyroid gland.

most people in western culture in the UK and USA will not have iodine deficiency since iodine is supplemented in almost all salt and sodium in our diets.

and just a small teaspoon of salt each day is enough iodine for our thyroid glands.

but if you have antibodies against your thyroid gland and low activity of your thyroid gland, you could have something called hashimoto thyroiditis

you need to see an endocrinologist

and get blood testing to check your anti thyroid peroxidase and anti thyroid globulin antibodies

and your thyroid hormone levels of TSH and free T4 and free T3 levels.

taking iodine alone will not make your thyroid make more thyroid hormone.

taking extra iodine will not have a negative impact on your thyroid gland.

make sure you take your thyroxine on an empty stomach with no other medications and no food 30 minutes before and afterwards.