Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Does this look like folliculitis? If yes why is it on my

Does this look like folliculitis? If yes why is it on my neck and chest?

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Can you attach a picture?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi ,
So I have it all around my neck Friday morning and today morning it spread to my chest and little bit to my inner arm . Went to the docs and in 3 seconds she said it’s folliculitis . I understand that to be an infection of hair follicles , but these are the areas with least hair on my body apart from my palms and feet of course . Did not have a bath or used hot tubs recently either .
Many thanks for your reply !

I agree.

not folliculitis

is it tender?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It feels like I am wearing something rubbing and uncomfortable around my neck . Like a bad material or something. I did get a course of antibiotics for it and also purchased a special wash from the pharmacist .
So answering your question it’s not horrible but it’s very uncomfortable. I think the puss is collecting even more under the skin I’ll send another couple of pics . Many thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My neck
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My chest
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wash from pharmacy

pics of the arm?

Yes, I was originally thinking maybe shingles but I don't think so. I don't think it is folliculitis

but just a staph infection of the skin

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not so bad on my left arm

staph infection most likely

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I see I got a course of antibiotics prescribed I started to take them as I also have a sore throat but no fever so I thought clean out any infection in my body anyway so started to take them as prescribed. But it did really bother me that they said it’s folliculitis when for me as a mere normal person did not make sense . Might be too much information but I am a hairy person anyway so would understand if it would be anywhere else there are plenty of follicles to get infected on my body but my neck ?! So can my partner catch this infection as well ? Is there any topical treatment I could get over the counter for it that wouldn’t do more harm than help do you think ?

1)no your partner cannot catch it

2) I wouldn't use anything topical. The oral antibiotics will take care ofit

3)antibiotics plus your immune system will knock it out.

I'm sorry you got this. It seems very uncomfortable. you will be ok though

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr Phil , I will sure do that !
All the best from the UK from a Hungarian lady !

All the best from a boring American doctor :)