Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I'm a 53 year old otherwise healthy woman. I started getting

Hi there, my name is*****'m a 53 year old otherwise healthy woman. I started getting symptoms of a bad cold Thursday night. by Friday it started feeling more like flu although I had the jab in October. I think I've had a fever (don't have a thermometer) and have the symptoms of a head cold with a very painful chesty cough which when I bring up phlegm it is brown. Rather than sharp stabbing pain my chest feels a bit like it's burning. I'm wondering if I could have pneumonia although my breathing is OK. Thanks

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It is unlikely that you are having pneumonia since you don't have difficulty in breathing and also the presence of headaches and body aches points more towards the flu. A cough with phlegm can also occur with flu. You are likely having an increase in acidity of the stomach due to stress and this is causing the acid to reflux into your chest and cause the burning sensation. You should take acid-lowering medication such as ranitidine which will be available in your pharmacy. You should drink plenty of water and should take paracetamol to lower your body temperature. You will recover in another day or two.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so you also don't think it is a chest infection of some kind? I know antibiotics are bad on the whole but am worried that maybe I should be taking some to get on top of this. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No that's fine. I
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No that's fine. I'll take some ant-acid medication and try to see my GP tomorrow. Thanks

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!!
Glad that I could help.