Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Can a 11 months old eat lychees? I found conflicting info on

Hi,Can a 11 months old eat lychees? I found conflicting info on the internet.Thanks.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

There is no harm reported or possible with the fruit or its nutrients for an 11 month old, however, whether they can eat it or not depends on how you give it to them. They can not eat Lychees on their own or any solid / semi solid food for that matter, it should always be supervised. The fruit should be peeled by an adult and the pulp should be crushed and broken in to small pieces that can swallowed since an 11 month old can not chew effectively. The piece given should not be bigger than the size of the nail or the finger tip of the baby and there should be water handy.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am trying to be very careful to not give something that could be a choking risk to her but I have read some news about lychees being harmful for children. That was the reason I was concerned about.

No, it is not harmful for children. However, anything not given in moderation and in the proper amount will be harmful. Even milk given in access to infants is harmful. You can feed the Lychee to your 11 month old without worrying about it being harmful nutritionally. Make sure the fruit is clean and that you do not give more than 1 or 2 because it can cause constipation.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5 star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I only gave 1 piece. Thank you very much for the information.

Glad I could help.