DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I've had the flu - a bout for two weeks solid....one night

I've had the flu - a nasty bout for two weeks solid....one night in the middle of the flu I failed to sleep...I felt wired all night...and only slept - 3am until 5am.... I thought nothing of it as I was fine the next two nights. However as I got better suddenly I couldn't sleep....it felt like I had drank ten cups of coffee and no way would my body let me sleep....roll on two weeks and its still the same... the gp gave me zopiclone 3.5... this only gave me a few hours so they doubled the dose to 7 and still I get only four hours.and I bounce out of it...im absolutely exhausted....but cant get off or stay asleep.....my hearts pretty jumpy too but I do get pvcs ( resting pulse normally 68 -70 currently jumps around at anything from 75 - 100....no coffee or stimulants....im taking multi vitimins....could the flu have effected my hormones? or sent me out of whack I'm 47.....and this is totally debilitating and I have never experienced insomnia of this nature before....
Welcome to just answer
Sorry to hear about this
Are you taking any medicines other than zopoclone ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Do you have any anxiety or stress ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
because I am not sleeping I have started to become anxious.... but was not anxious before the lack of sleep started....
Thanks for the information
Some times after infection the sleep can be disturbed but usually it is seen in chronic illnesses
Anxiety and stress can also be a contributing factor
If zopiclone is not working well then it can be switched to a benzodiazepine
I would suggest that you wait for a couple of weeks before thinking about this as a permanent problem requiring further evaluation
Sleep therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy is also helpful on such cases
Please do let me know if you have any other question
If done please don't forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK RATING
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
chronic illnesses such as?.... so you don't think my hormones or lack of vitimins could be out?
No it doesn't seems like a nutritional or hormonal imbalance
Chronic disorders like chronic spin syndrome, neurological disorders,psychiatric problem and even heart disease