DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I used to take 5 mg ability and 50 or 75 mg sertraline I

Hi,I used to take 5 mg ability and 50 or 75 mg sertraline I think maybe max 100 mg. But one day me and my partner thought I may be pregnant, so even tho I knew it's not good to just suddenly stop taking, them, I did. I thought I was doing the right thing for the baby because I never really thought I really needed the medicines really. Somehow in my head I reasoned " as long as the baby will be alright, that's what is most important, and my partner also I felt " pressured " me a little bit to stop taking them. Unfortunately I come from a very psychologically abusive home , so I don't know now , what I was thinking . In that moment with my partner aside me " I thought as long as my baby is going to turn out 900000000000000000000000000000000000000000 million % ok , i will not think so much "or care " that much about "anything else let say so ". Even tho I knew potentially dangerous for me, but atm I honestly didn't know what to do" and I just stopped taking them . I thought as soon as I know 4 sure if I am having a baby or not, I can either tell my doctors or resume the medicines as well , all by myself. It resulted in that I was not pregnant. But , for some reason ( I thought I was doing the right thing again ) I thought "if I'm feeling totally ok now without the medicines, why don't I try and stop taking them? So I did. this was all sometime between August- beginning of October, ( 8 of October latest , because that was when my partner had to fly on a trip), in 2017 was all of this . Anyways, since some time now I haven't been feeling so good and am wondering if "the absence of the chemical s of the medicines " may be the cause of this???????????
I am really worried really, and would like to know exactly what could happen to someone if they did what i did .Also , please can you let me know what I should do now to fix "this"I haven't told my doctors anything of this , and I am scared of doing so , because l have had really bad experiences in the past. I didn't feel like they really understood me, but just judged me, unfortunately.But , that is why , I would like to hear, what you have to say, and see if you can help me instead?Please help me , I am really worried about what is happening and want to know how to fix it all? And also, what is the worst thing that could happen ? (Because I suddenly stopped taking the medicines) and how/ or what should I do now???? ??? ? I am really scared about turning to my doctors about this , so I am relying on you now, as my "second opinion " doctor to know what to do. Please help me as, you are the only ones I feel I can talk to about this right now.Thank you for understanding , and i really, really hope you can help me with my concerns.Thank you,
Lena K

Hello Lena! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please tell me what symptoms you have at present ?

And correct me if I am wrong you are off abilify andsertralince since October 2017??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
since approximately September, I think not more than October 8th, like I mentioned before yes.

And what exactly are your symptoms now ?

And what was the exact reason for starting abilify and sertraline ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is difficult to explain but I feel really weird really. I don't know if it is too much of the internal stress I have, due to my past / background, but I feel like my thoughts might go "all over" the place, if I don't calm down. So I am trying to calm down . A lot . Like many times a day, since yesterday.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have had really bad luck with my family, my "mother " had been like a tyrant since many years, hitting and emotionally and psychologically abusive. If I did not do what she wanted me to do.

Thanks a lot for the information

There are two possibilities

The first and most likely is that you will start getting the same kind of symptoms for which the medicines were started initially

The second possibility although comparatively less likely is a withdrawal effect since already there are four months gone since you have stopped

The good news is that this time you might need a lower dose of medicine or even just one medicine to control your symptoms

So to summarize the only real problem which can occur is a relapse of your symptoms

Please do let me know if you have any other questions
If done please don't forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK RATING

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pardon me, but what is an withdrawal effect???? ???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I be worried?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've had in December a "little " or maybe "very extreme " actually) like stress situation, where i had to go through security in the airport, but I just couldn't because i really felt like I couldn't take one more step . Fortunately I was lucky and got help from the airport, to put me on the plain on a wheelchair.

When a person is on these medicines for a period of time the body find it difficult to cope if they are stopped at once and thus the body can react with various withdrawal symptoms. Usually these occur in the first 4-6 weeks after stopping these medicines. These can include restlessness,anxiety, panic attack and many more. But you seems to be out of that period and now chances of withdrawal are less

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh , ok . Is there any other "withdrawal symptoms " I could be experiencing now ? After so long, or? Should I be worried ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ???? ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, what do I do now???? ? ? ? ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the solution ? ��������������
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do i start taking the meds again ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Or what do I do? ��������������
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how much, "in that case "? ��������������������������
��
��������
��
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh also , now that I remember, I have been taking much more diazepam 5 mg since I stopped taking the " regular " medicines.
Almost everyday in one month, almost.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I forgot about that , but I must have felt much more "stress " ( I thought It was ) so therefore I started taking them to " ease the feeling"

This is the list of withdrawal symptoms

nausea

sweating

dysphoric mood

irritability

agitation

dizziness

sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesia, such as electric shock sensations)

tremor

anxiety

confusion

headache

lethargy

emotional lability

insomnia

hypomania

tinnitus

seizures

If you have already been taking diazepam i would suggest to restart sertraline as diazepam is not that much helpful in long term management of such problems

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But may be it really was an withdrawal symptom / like anxiety or something ?��?��?�� ������������������������������

Yes as i said as you are taking diazepam regularly for last one month i would consider starting sertraline

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I might have had a lot of the withdrawal symptoms, now that I remember actually
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

In that case you surely need to restart with sertraline

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can it get worse ? Or has all of " the time passed" enough " so that nothing "else " Can happen ?��?����������������������������

Regarding withdrawal the chances of getting something serious are very low

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok , so how much of the sertraline medicines should I restart with then?

I would say 50mg and then see how it works

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what are " these " very serious" p"problems " i could be getting? And how do I avoid them?What do I have to do / check up / so that I might not have "gotten any serious problems" ?��?��?������������������

These could include the symptoms which you had previously before these medicines were started

You just to need a regular follow up with the doctor so that your medicines can be adjusted as required

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh , so , nothing " worse" than my " previous symptoms Can happen? �������������������������� because I didn't really feel like i had any symptoms "in the first place , so I'm kinda scared to even go to the doctor , because honestly it just feels like ( from my previous experience , at least)that they don't really listen and "just want to give you a diagnosis so that they then can give you a bunch of pills", which really is infuriating. :/ ��:/������������������������

So in my view you ca restart sertraline

Dear Lena,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, so , in conclusion what should I do exactly ? What is your recommendation ? ���������� ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ?I am a little bit confused ���������������������� sorry , ����? ? ? ? ? ? ? �������������������� ? :/ ��������:o

Restart sertraline at 50 mg dose and see the response

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thanks :)I will, one other question though, can it get " even worse" if I do take them at 50 mg again ?Or can it only get better?!?!?!!! !:D :D :D :D xD xD �������������������������������������� ^^ ��������������❤❤❤❤����������������❤��❤��❤❤����������������������

The odds are in favor of improvement

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok , thank you so much doctor! :):):):):):):)So , how long do I take them for ?
And what about the ability? Do I just "ignore " it until " everything "hopefully gets better ?^^?^^? :) :) :) ????? ???? ???? ?????? ? ������������������������������������������^^ ^^ ^^ ������������xD

The exact duration can not be determined now and it will depend how it work for you

Yes no need of abilify at present

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok , so , hmmmm , i hope it works oit well for me then .... the odds are in my favor niw right? You said ?!?!???

Yes they are

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok then doctor , thank you.If i want to contact you again , specifically, to follow up my case ? How do i do ? Is it possible , here , even ?��?��? ??????? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ��☺☺☺☺☺☺��������������������������������������������^^

Yes you can start your question with *Only for Dr.Ehtisham or you can use this link to ask me directly

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-ehtisham/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** answers I have gotten from you , do you know if it will be saved? And I can check them again , on a later occasion if I need to ?^^?^^?^^? !?!?!?!!!! �� ^^ ����������������������������������

Yes they are in your email and also in this account as well you can read them whenever you want to