DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My nadine conner and 24 of age I recently had a blood test

Hi my nadine conner and 24 of age I recently had a blood test done and they said iv got SHGB and my levels are 124 nmol/[18.0-114.0, my doctor said they can’t do anything and that’s all said. Please can you tell if there’s a way to lower my testosterone and get back to normal? I’m really scared and upset about it and I’m losing my hair so it making it really hard for me :’( please can you help and tell me i can fix it.Thank youNadine conner

Hello Nadine! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much Dr.Ehtisham.

What was the reason for doing SHBG and what other tests have been done ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did the SHBG test because of my hair was falling out so I wanted to know what was the reason for it , I always had a blood test on my iron levels and thyroid and the thyroid cane back fine the iron levels was a little bit under not that much.

Are you taking any hormone replacement therapy ?

Any other medicine you are taking currently ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No my doctor didn’t even bring up hormone replacement therapy. I was taking the pill but I came of my original pill gedarel and went onto the mini pill cerelle I went onto that October November time last year.

Thanks forthe information

The SHBG is slightly elevated than normal

There can be several reasons

Hyperthyroidism

Hypogonadism

Pregnancy

Estrogen excess

Use of corticosteroids

Liver disease

The first thing would be to look for the cause of this excess

If thyroid function test are normal, i would suggest liver functions,estrogen/progesterone level,and an ultrasound of the ovaries

The increase is so mild that we can wait to repeat the test after 2-3 months and then plan accordingly

Please do let me know if you have any other questions
If done please don't forget to leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK RATING

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Iv looked up all about SHBG so I know a little about it already but I don’t know is it possible for the testosterone levels to go down to normal?

Usually a combined oral contraceptive help in reducing androgen excess

Use of spironolactone with oral contraceptives has been found more effective

Then there are other anti androgens like flutamide

Some other medicines like finasteride and leuprolide also have anti-androgenic effect

But in your scenario i would suggest oral contraceptive with spironolactone

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you think if I went beck on to the mini pill that will help? I will definitely know if it goes back to normal :) you been a big help.

I would suggest a combined estrogen/progesterone pill rather than progesterone only pill

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok then thank you so much you made me feel more positive now. I will let you know if the out come:)

You are welcome