Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I have a history of thyroid disease: overactive Graves’

I have a history of thyroid disease: overactive Graves’ disease in my 20’s, than under active thyroid since I had my first child, I have a heart murmur but have seen a cardiologist a few months ago and got the all clear. I’ve suffered a lot from anxiety, when I’d get anxious my heart would beat extremely fast and hard. Lately my heart seems to be doing the opposite, there’s been a few events (something behind my crashing on the floor, etc) that have alarmed me but my heart hasn’t jumped, I haven’t felt it at all, nothing seems to make my heart race anymore, even caffeine (but it does affect the rhythm so I don’t have too much), exercise just increases it, but not much and pushing myself gives me uncomfortable ectopic beats. My whole life my average heart rate has been 75-80, now it’s 60, I’ve recorded it as slow as 52. I’m tired a lot, feeling bodily exhausted, trying to rest more but don’t seem to always fall asleep when tired. I had my thyroid tested and it came back fine, last time I had my iron tested it was fine, is there anything else that could be causing this?

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry to hear that. So when was the last time you got your thyroid levels checked ? Optimal levels are assessed with TSH levels and not T3 n T4 only so i would like to know if all three were checked or not. You should get an EKG done. If you think the slow heart is causing you symptoms like lightheadedness, near fainting or blackout spells then its better to get Holters monitoring of your heart done under care of a cardiologist. Its also important to know whether you are taking any beta blockers or other medications to control your heart rate ? If yes then the dose needs to be reduced.

I hope you found it helpful.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Pease reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My TSH, T3 & T4 were all tested, the results were normal, I had an ECG done, Echocardiogram, Stress Test and Holters monitoring done by a cardiologist. I'm not on beta blockers or other medication to control my heart rate. Is there anything else that could be causing my, what feels like cardiac atrophy?

Well if everything came back normal then its just sinus bradycardia , we dont need to treat it unless its causing you symptoms. If symptomatic then cardiac pacemaker can be inserted.

The cause is difficult to be ascertain but its due to slowing of the SA node in heart.

I hope your query is addressed

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could you give me an idea what could cause this? being run down? vitamin/mineral deficiency? Adrenal insufficiency/malfunction? Thanks

Well although all these causes can lead to low energy and easy fatiguability but slow heart rate isnt quite explained by these. You should get your electrolytes done including calcium, magnesium , sodium and potassium to see if there is any abnormality there. Imbalance in these electrolytes can lead to a slow heart and weakness subsequently. I am pretty sure you must have had baseline tests like complete blood count to see hemoglobin ( rule out anemia), liver function tests to rule out any liver related malfunction and kidney function tests. If your CBC is suggestive of any mineral or vitamin deficiency e.g iron or B12 deficiency then further specific tests can be done.

Autoimmune conditions like thyroid and addison's can co-exist and go side by side so the probability of addisons cant be ruled out if you are having persistent symptoms of lethargy / weakness.

Serum electrolytes and serum cortisol levels would help find out if there is anything wrong with your adrenals ( for addisons).

Hope it answered your query.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Brilliant. Thank you