Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a very sore heal in my left foot which is affecting

I have a very sore heal in my left foot which is affecting my left leg when cycling

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Where exactly on the heel is the pain? Under the heel? Behind the heel? On the side?

Have you tried any pills to help with the pain?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Under the heal

Pain that is under the heel is more often due to inflammation where a fibrous band attaches to the bottom of the bone that forms the heel. The condition is called plantar fasciitis. It is also possible to get a type of bursitis that affects the heel, but the pain is typically more behind the heel.

There are several options for management of plantar fasciitis. It can help to take an oral anti-inflammatory medicine, and you can take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. The other intervention that may help is the use of orthotics, such as heel cups. I was having problems with plantar fasciitis that was bothering me while playing racquetball, and it was the use of heel cups that controlled the problem. Bicycling places a different type of stress on the bottom of the foot, and it may be necessary to use an orthotic that supports the entire foot, rather than just the heel. It also may help to be certain that the seat height is adjusted so that the leg is almost straight and the heel is in a neutral position (not bent up or down) when the pedal is at the lowest position. If the symptoms are stubborn, then a steroid injection can be considered, but this is usually not necessary.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

The system says that you requested a phone call and I will call in a moment.