How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Sohaib Your Own Question
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5340
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Sohaib is online now

My friends son has the problems. He stays in bed all day and

This answer was rated:

My friends son has the problems. He stays in bed all day and is up all night, we presume on his computer. He won,t look for a job although he has a masters degree. He is obsessed with cleanliness and yesterday lost his temper and smashed a light fitting..He has recently moved from London to Guernsey but the problems were the same in London. He has no close friends and his mother and two brothers are not on his side and there is friction. I am worried that his mental state may be fragile. and my friend does not know what to do. Can you advise? Is there someone who can help?

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He clearly needs a thorough psychiatrist screening, but at first needs a referral to a psychiatrist by his GP.

Do you think he is aware of his problems and recognizes this problem to be addressed?

Dr. Sohaib and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Calling software is down so we will communicate here on the chat mode.

I was wondering if he even recognize or feel that he needs help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he probably does but has not discussed it with anyone

That's great and reassuring.

The first barrier for such kind of patients who need counselling and psychotherapy or evaluation by psychiatrist is to break the denial they have --- most of them even fail to identify that they need help.

In his case this is a very positive sign.

Now what you can do is to carefully open the discussion with him, and tell him that he needs professional help in this regard, and need to see a doctor. He should not feel stigmatized about the suggestion to see a psychiatrist rather should take it in a positive way.

What I believe is that he has some degree of depression or bipolar illness, and sometimes even GP can pick up and treat this problem, and if deemed necessary can make and arrange appropriate referrals to specialized services, in his case psychiatrist.

May be he doesn't even need medications, just psychotherapy would be enough, but needs an in-office (clinical) assessment.

We have specialized questionnaires and assessment tools in the clinics based upon which it can easily be diagnosed whether he has depression or a mood disorder or it is just the normal variation in his mood and feeling low.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK,I will tell my friend to try to persuade him to see a doctor. Trouble is my friend is not used to handling such delicate situations and it is not my place to get involved but I don't.. foresee him just getting over it without help. Thank you.

Welcome and my sincere wishes for his good health. And I do appreciate your concerns for the boy.