How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wieyedoc Your Own Question
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 13049
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
Type Your Medical Question Here...
wieyedoc is online now

I am a kidney patient at Nottingham city hospital,

This answer was rated:

I am a kidney patient at Nottingham city hospital, Nottingham. The surgeons seem only to do the operation of pd insertion ready for home dialysis under general anaesthetic using lapaoscopy (spelt wrongly}.
Can I insist that I am referred to a vascular surgeon who will perform the pd insertion under Local anaesthetic which is my preference even though this might be at another hospitial other than Nottingham City Hospital?

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time and your help. Do you have an answer to my question

First you should find a surgeon who is willing and able to put your PD in under local anesthesia.

Once you have this surgeons name and contact information then you can file a written request to have her do your surgery.

Make sure to include in your letter the reasons you desire your PD to be place under local rather then general anesthesia.

Of course if placement of your PD catheter is time critical you may not have the luxury of waiting for the appeals process to work in your favor.

Another option, of course, would be go have a private surgeon do this for you....but I can imagine that this would be fairly expensive.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I was typing when you just posted ;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How doi search of find a surgon who will do the pd procedure under local anaesthetic. Would I call somewhere like NHS England

Yes. Contacting NHS England would be a good place to start.

You might also try asking the surgeon at Nottingham city hospital if he can recommend someone who could do the PD placement under local anesthesia....many surgeons know each other as they attend the same meetings etc.

You could also just call general surgeons and ask their office if the doctor would be willing to put in a PD catheter under local.....
Unfortunately it is going to take some leg work on your part to find a willing surgeon but, once you do, then your letter will be a lot stronger in that it actually names the surgeon you want to use....

Is this going to be an easy task?


Are you going to get permission and a referral quickly?


Can it be done?

I think so.

make sense?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

wieyedoc and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you