Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My daughter is 8 years old. She is having pain on and of

My daughter is 8 years old. She is having pain on and of throughout the day on the left side of here lower abdomen just above the pelvic area. Although she has been prescribed antibiotics and been taking them for nearly a week, she still gets these striking pains 3 to times a day. She has had a urine test which shows some infection. She has the infection before several times but not this kind pain associated with it. Can you please explain what we should as we ware very concerned that she is not getting better.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

urinary tract infections usually do not cause this much pain

she could be passing a small kidney stone

she needs an ultrasound of her kidneys and bladder and urinary system to look for small kidney stones which can cause inflammation in her urine and blood as well

she may benefit from Pyridium or phenazopyridine

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/phenazopyridine-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20065473

which can be dosed for children and can help numb up her urinary tract and help decrease pain.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks doctor we will get this ultrasound carried out.

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi David
We took My daughter to A&E on Sunday as the pains were recurring. The doctor at the hospital did not think it was a kidney stone for the following reasons:
- There is no blood in the urine
- The pains have been on and off for over 10 days, kidney stone pain does not last that long
- She has had pains three to four times a day which means there must be many stones which is unlikely
What are your thoughts on this.

maybe she is having pains because she doesn't want to go to school

or she could be being bullied at school.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She loves going to school very much and is trying her best to keep up with work she has missed by doing homework with her twin sister. The pains are genuin.

she needs a pelvic ultrasound to look inside. has she had this?