DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I've been having flu-like symptoms and chronic mental and

Hi there, I've been having flu-like symptoms and chronic mental and physical fatigue, accompanied by dizziness/feeling off balance, memory problems and a rapid heartbeat after doing the smallest things eg. turning over in bed/ getting up. I have felt like this for over a year and it was suspected I had depression and have been on 40mg fluoxetine for the past 4 months, however this has had little impact on the mental and physical fatigue and the psychologist cannot understand why I am still feeling this way since the antidepressant is a stimulant.

Hello Rhia! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please tell me what investigations have been done so far?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had blood tests done last year for thyroid and blood sugar levels and all were ok apparently. As for the flu-like symptoms I've been told I have sinusitis and sent to an ENT who confirmed I didn't and also pleurisy. I've been treated with antibiotics three times and nothing has changed. I'm psychically and mentally exhausted and do not leave the house much.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also Fluoxetine 40mg per day incase of depression - since November. No improvement on the fatigue and flu feeling

Do you have any brain imaging done as well?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I haven't

Thanks for the information

I would suggest that with symptoms like dizziness and memory issue you should have an MRI brain

Yes the symptoms could be due to anxiety or even fibromyalgia i would like to rule out an organic brain problem

You should discuss with your doctor and have a neurologist referral

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you,and that I have earned my 5-stars rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting 5-stars at the top of the screen(rating me now does not close your question)

We can continue further till you are satisfied and you simply use the reply box to let me know

Thank you and regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also have extreme sensitivity to sound/light. Could this also be part of a brain problem?

Usually it is due to psychiatric issues

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help.

you are welcome