Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/MS
17287913

Wondered if you could help.. for about a year my hair has

Wondered if you could help.. for about a year my hair has been falling out from the root, every time I run my hands through my hair at least a few hairs come out every time... it never used to and it's scaring me cause will have no hair left! I do bleach my hair..
My scalp is itchy sometimes and when I scratch it.. it gathers white in my nails that's like soft and feels like a paste.
I'm naturally dark brown.. I know this is not great that it is bleached every now and then but I'm so careful and use really good conditioners and deep masks and spend so much money on making sure I have to best hair care products..
I'm at a point now where it's really upsetting me and making my anxiety sky rocket and it's affecting my concentration at work as I can't stop worrying about it..

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

There are a number of medical reasons for hair fall in women.

Some of the causes of hair fall are Low blood levels (anemia),low iron levels,Thyroid problems and seborrheic dermatitis.

You can have some blood tests to make sure your blood levels including iron levels are okay.

Since your scalp is itchy and there are white flakes gathering in your nails this can be dandruff or this seems to be due to seborrheic dermatitis.

Ideally I would suggest you to make an appointment with a dermatologist.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your reply, I do already take iron tablets daily as I have read that before, and I also take 'hairburst' tablets designed for improving hair condition, Would I have to go to the doctor to get an appointment with a dermatologist ?
Also, say I never went to see a dermatologist, would the problem go if it's some kind of scalp problem, would it go away by itself ?

This itchy scalp and whitish flakes are typically seen in seborrheic dermatitis.

The dermatologist is the best person to treat this.

Yes this condition seborrheic dermatitis needs to be treated with some prescription lotions and shampoos and once treated the dryness and itchiness goes away.

The hair fall is basically due to itchy dry scalp in this situation so it needs to be treated.

It is very unlikely to go away on its own.

You can make an appointment with your gp and he can refer you to derma

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you !

You're welcome :)

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

You are not charged anything for rating positively.

Best wishes